The Oregon Wine Symposium strives to minimize its negative environmental impact. Below are some of our practices.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
- Durable china and serving-ware is used to minimize waste
- Catering menus are chosen with local and sustainable products
- Condiments are served in bulk containers and minimal food packaging is used
- The Oregon Convention Center holds several sustainability certifications, including:
- LEED Platinum Certification
- Salmon Safe Certification, indicating sustainable stormwater runoff practices
- ASTM/APEX Environmentally Sustainable Meeting Standards Level Four Certified, the highest level award from this international standard
- The OCC offers an extensive waste recycling and recovery programs
- The OCC recently installed 6,500 solar panels generating 25% of OCC's electrical power
REGISTRATION AND COMMUNICATION
- Event promotion is pursued primarily through online methods
- Directional signs are printed without dates so they may be re-used at future events
- Exhibitors are provided with Green Exhibitor Guidelines and supplementary recycling bins to collect difficult to recycle packaging materials associated with their displays
- The Symposium hotel and venue are located within walking distance and easily accessible via light rail train and Streetcar.
- The Oregon Wine Symposium is working closely with the venue to minimize waste at the event. In order to validate our commitment we will be measuring and reporting all waste produced at the 2019 Symposium with a goal of diverting at least 85% of all materials.
- To help reach our goals we will continue to have tri-bin waste stations throughout the meeting place. We will also have supplemental recycle bins during exhibitor set-up and breakdown to collect materials that are not accepted in standard waste streams. Despite these efforts, we are not able to recycle single-use coffee cups or plastic and compostable food service ware and utensils and encourage you to use sustainable alternative.